Whilst the main focus here at Blog Membership Scripts is scripts that allow you to create a membership site, we also review shopping cart scripts and pretty much anything that enables you to sell products or services from your blog.
WP eStore by Tips And Tricks HQ is a very versatile shopping cart script that is well suited to selling just about anything online. I use it myself on several sites.
One of the features I really like about this plugin is that once you get to know the process of setting up your products you can add a product in around 5-10 minutes. In my case, that’s digital products. The process will be familiar to anyone who has used an ecart script to sell products online. You create an obscurely named directory, upload your files and then link to them from the ‘Add Product’ screen.
When adding products you have a large range of options, with around 5 or 6 that are required in order to start selling your products. Some of the features include:
- Additional images for each product.
- The product can be added to a blog post or you can specify a page.
- Custom button image setting for the ‘buy now’ button.
- Display a quantity field.
- Collect customer input to a text field.
- Product specific commissions or global commission rates (1 or 2 tier). This requires integration with the WP Affiliate plugin.
- The client receives an encrypted download link (the actual location of the download is not revealed).
- Product variations – I use this to sell different licenses for products (e.g. PLR,MRR).
- Shipping options, including PayPal profile based shipping.
- Inventory control – this can be set, for example, if you only want to sell 20 copies of a product.
- Sign up customers to a specific mailing list depending on which product they buy or sign them up to a single list.
- Provide instructions for buyer.
- Single payment or subscription billing.
- PayPal, 2Checkout or manual payment methods.
As you can see, that’s a LOT of options but as I mentioned earlier, you can set up a product with just 5 or 6 settings.
For the layout of your products, the script provides a number of shortcodes that you can use to set the display of your products pretty much however you want to display them.
When a customer purchases a product they are sent to the payment processor. After successful payment they will receive an email with the URL of their digital download(s). This plugin can also integrate with two popular membership plugins – Wishlist Members and Memberwing as well as the author’s own membership plugin – WP eMember. An affiliate plugin is also available which allows you to maintain your own affiliate program for the products you sell with the WP eStore plugin.
Integration is provided for several autoresponders. Currently the plugin has direct support for AWeber, MailChimp, GetResponse and Infusionsoft.
If you have a high traffic site and/or large downloads, there is also an option to store your products on Amazon S3.
One of the ‘features’ of many products seems to be the lack of documentation and support. Not so with WP eCart. There is a huge library of ‘how-to’ documents, installation guides and general usage manuals. The author also provides a forum and is in there providing support as I write this review!
Overall I rate this plugin a 9/10. I’ve taken one point off for the payment processors. PayPal and 2Checkout are both excellent options, but there are a number of other processors that probably should also be integrated. If you are looking for a quick, easy way to get started selling products from your blog then WP eCart is most likely the solution you are looking for.
You can find out more about WP eCart at the Tips And Tricks HQ Website.